Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Artist's Biography


I am primarily a self taught artist. I began painting at an early age and worked my way through college as a textbook illustrator. Because of my love for nature, I chose a career in resource management with the National Park Service.  After I retired from the NPS in 1999, I have been painting full time.  Although perhaps known best for my early paintings of the Grand Canyon and Sedona, I now take frequent painting expeditions to other locations closer to my new home in Northern California, including the North coast, the high Sierras, and the many incredible rivers  nearby.   

I am painting on location more frequently now.  I was a founding member of the Arizona Plein Air Painters and served two terms as the first president.  I am really excited about spending more time painting along the coast and rivers of  Northern California.

Artist Statement

My paintings are the result of experiences in the field that have inspired my sense of awe and appreciation for the incredible beauty of the Western landscape.  I am particularly drawn to moving water and the power of vast open spaces. Whether painting on site or later in the studio, I attempt to capture the quality of light and mood that inspired me at the time I witnessed the scene.  Plein air painting has progressively become a more important part of my artistic endeavor.

Awards and Media Recognition

2010. Paint the Parks Exhibition Top 100 award for two paintings.
2009. Paint the Parks Exhibition Mini 50.
2006. Workshop Magazine; Extreme Plein Air.
2005. Design and installation, Glass Scape Sculpture, Sedona Rouge Resort.

My paintings can be found in private and corporate collections throughout the U.S. England and Australia.

Shows and Events

Sept. 13, 2015-Feb. 2015. Grand Canyon Celebration of Art.

Sept. 13, 2014-Feb. 2014. Grand Canyon Celebration of Art.

Sept. 14, 2012-Jan. 2013.  Grand Canyon Celebration of Art. Invitational event and show.

Feb. 16-Feb. 27, 2011. “Southwest Inspirations”.  Group show, Sedona Arts Center SEG.

Sept. 10-Nov. 11, 2011. Grand Canyon Celebration of Art invitational event and show.

Sept 12-Nov.15,  2010. Grand Canyon Celebration of Art invitational event and show.

Sept. 18-Nov.1, 2009. Grand Canyon Celebration of Art “Modern Masters Show.”

Sept. 13-19, 2009. Grand Canyon Celebration of Art, “Plein Air on the Rim”.

Apr. 1-Nov 15, 2010. Phoenix Airport Art Museum Show, “Landscapes at Your Feet” invitational show:
.
2004-2009. Annual Sedona Plein Air Festival, Invitational event and show.

2005.  “Sedona Masters Show”, Invitational Show, Sedona Arts Center Gallery


No comments:

Post a Comment